domingo, 22 de julho de 2018

Age of war

Age of War (The Legends of the First Empire #3)Age of War by Michael J. Sullivan
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Usually I'm a fan of Michael's work.

I started with Ryria and went on and on until there were no more books written by him. There really good books and good books. But this is the first time I felt disappointment reading a book by Michael.

In this series we know how things will eventually play out, but there's a lot of unknown as well. The first 2 books were fairly good, and in my opinion the second one was the best one yet.

My problem with this book is that it seems the author stopped altogether the character development. They feel too two dimensional with no real depth and I believe it's hard to connect to them, which is weird since in the first two books, this wasn't an issue.

The "big bad guy" still feels too forced, it doesn't translate into a realistic character. I get that for him he is the hero of is own story and I'm ok with that, but there's something lacking in the character ever since the beginning of the series.

Then there's the romantic entanglements that were developed in this book. I just cringed throughout the Brin one... Once again not because I disagree with the choices made by the author but because the way it was written seems too shallow.

In terms of storyline I feel there was a lot of the book where we get useless infodump, which clutters the book and don't develop the story at all. Honestly this felt a lot like half a book.

There were a few storylines that seemed to appear out of nowhere, but they were fairly well explored which turned out to be the redeeming point of the book.

I hope the rest of the series improve greatly.

View all my reviews

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário